Monday, June 11, 2012

"Lay Scientific Literacy" and Conspiracy Theory



Taking this test on "HelloQuizzy.com" about "Lay-Scientific Literacy"...thought I'd share the (somewhat) tongue-in-cheek cynical, snidy remark I made when I answered this question:





Interesting to think about, where does skepticism cross the line from scientific skepticism to supernatural conspiracy theorist delusion?


Because apparently, I am following a similar line of thought to conspiracy theorists who think vaccines are a way of the government making us all mentally ill so they can control us. But yet I think that to hold such an idea, you must be delusional. There is no evidence for it, scientifically, therefore to me it would come off as paranoia. On the other hand, I'm sure I can come up with sufficient evidence to at least support my own suspicions that, consciously or not, psychiatrists, medical clinicians more generally, the media, and pharmaceutical industries (who are, naturally, in bed with the FDA and in turn probably do influence public policy through the same corrupt bribery that's rampant on Wall Street, led to the housing "bubble" collapse, etc.), to name a few, are probably doing just what that answer choice was describing.

So the way I see it, I guess, the line is just based on the evidence. If you can be paranoid and justify your paranoia with evidence, it is realistic enough to be paranoid. I mean, if you think about it, just the term "brainwashing" sounds like it's coming from a paranoid mindset. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Censorship and political correctness are discouraged. :)
Other than that, the usual - please be respectful, mature; comments with personal attacks will be deleted, 5 year olds shouldn't be here in the first place so please return to your mommy before you proceed to type, etc.

Recommended Post Slide Out For Blogger